Do you know how many times friends and relatives told us to buy a house? Believe me, it is much more than you can count. However, after getting out of the University and finding jobs, my partner and I, thought it was too early to make such an investment.
But, when we learned that child is on the way, we gave in to the continual requests. Jobs were stable, we had solid paychecks, and we figured if we are ever going to do it, that was the right moment! It was relatively easy to find the house we liked in a super nice area. We took a loan and made the purchase. "Piece of cake," we thought! Little did we know that real chaos begins now.
We barely settled in and unpacked our things when everybody came again with new advice. This time it was about all the things we need to know and everything we need to buy to keep the house in order. Mainly it was about repairs and tools. Among other tools that we needed was a chainsaw. “A chainsaw?! Okay, why in the world we need that?!" I asked. “What do you mean? But for trimming and pruning, that is why” “Okay!” “And you know what else?! You need a chainsaw sharpening tool”.
But we started searching for all of that, including the best chainsaw sharpener! As the name says, it is a tool used to sharpen the chainsaw. It can be manual or electric. The latter is powered by electricity, and it is more popular because it is simpler to work with it. How difficult can it be to choose it? Believe it or not, it turned out to be way more complex than we thought! In a way more interesting, though, as well! Indeed, we were fascinated by how many models of chainsaw chain sharpener models exist. It got us also think that other new homeowners must be as clueless as we were. We figured that it would be a nice gesture to make your lives a bit easier, so we created these electric chainsaw sharpener reviews.
Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
Editor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
Top 10 Best Electric Chainsaw Sharpeners: Comparison Table
Best Overall: Oregon 575214 Sure Sharp 12V Handheld Chainsaw Chain Sharpener/Grinder Review
Oregon 575214 Sure Sharp
- Includes both a 12-Volt car adapter and battery clips, so you can conveniently sharpen your chainsaw chain anywhere
- Includes one each 5/32"(4.0mm), 3/16" (4.8mm) and 7/32" (5.5mm) sharpening stones and a collet wrench
- Simple sharpening angle adjustment guide for accuracy
- Sharpens most chainsaw chains up to .404" pitch
- Powerful motor runs at optimum 25,000 RPM
Fast and Accurate: Sharp Pebble Electric Chainsaw Sharpener Kit Review
- Chainsaw Sharpening Kit: This complete kit comes with - Chainsaw Tool (120V), Chainsaw Angle Guide attachment, Wrench, 4 File Size Diamond Sharpening Wheel: 5/32”, 3/16”, 7/32” & 7/32” which will help sharpen any of the chains out there.
- Easy To Use: The simplicity of this electric chainsaw sharpener enables both novices and professionals to sharpen even the bluntest of chainsaw chains within minutes with ease. Ergonomic design & chain angle guide makes maintaining of angle like breeze during sharpening whether you are right or left-handed.
- Better Than a Hand File: It is really important to sharpen all of the chainsaw teeth equally when sharpening the chainsaw. This is difficult to achieve when you sharpen your chains with a File. Using this electric chainsaw sharpener, you just need to set the grinding angle & you can easily cycle through the chain knowing that each tooth will be sharpened precisely at the same angle & depth to a razor-sharp finish every time.
- Accuracy: A dulled chain causes the chainsaw user to lean onto the chainsaw tool and press the wood to be cut more firmly, this is not safe and will ultimately lead to an accident. Sharp Pebble electric chain saw sharpener will have your chain sharpened within few passes. This will put less pressure on the chainsaw engine, which in turn ensures that your tool will last longer.
- Fast Results: This outdoor power chainsaw sharpener tool has adjustable speed settings, allowing for a clean and precise finish on each tooth of the chain. Quality bearings are used in the design of the motor which means that the cutting disc operates at a high level of stability and accuracy. This saves you time, fuel, and wear and tear on your chainsaw.
Professional Pick: Oregon 410-120 Chain Grinder Review
- Bench or wall mounted Professional grinder: Perfect for semi-professional and home users who regularly saw wood
- Save time & money: Sharpen your own chainsaw chains. Grinder easily mounts to a bench or wall with two included bolts - ideal for a workshop or garage
- Universal sharpener: Sharpens up to .404” pitch chain. Sharpen almost saw any chain from manufacturers such as Oregon, Stihl, Husqvarna, and others
- One-way motor rotation: Provides greater operator safety and comes with a manual chain clamping vice
- Includes: Grinder, a dressing brick and profile guide, operator instructions plus two grinding wheels (3.2mm & 4.7mm) and a 6.0mm flat profile disc for depth gauge maintenance
Large Safety Guard: Chicago Electric Electric Chain Saw Sharpener Review
- Easily mounts to a beach or a wall
- 4200 RPM grinding speed
- Durable and heavy-duty tool
- Lithium-ion battery NOT INCLUDED
Great Efficiency: Buffalo Tools ECSS Electric Chainsaw Sharpener Review
- Keep your chain in top condition and save money by sharpening your own saw
- Mounts to bench, wall or vise for easy access and stability
- Adjusts to most popular chain designs
- 4200 RPM grinding speed, 60 Hz, 85-watt, plugs into a standard 120-volt wall outlet
- Uses a 4-1/4-Inch x 1/8-Inch grinding wheel with 7/8-Inch arbor
Best Portability: YaeTek Electric Chainsaw Sharpener Review
- This Bench Chain Saw Sharpener has 110V,60HZ,85W Motor;
- Rotation: 4800rpm
- Installation: you can mount YaeTek Electric Chain Saw Sharpener Grinder To the Bench, Vise, Wall, desk, working Table etc.
- Arbor Diameter:7/8"
- VISE Capacity: 0.8"to0.5"
Sturdy and Reliable: Mophorn Saw Chain Grinder Review
- 【STURDY ALUMINUM MATERIAL】- This kind of chainsaw sharpener is made of high-quality aluminum material, which gives it the qualities of anti-ruse and scratch-proof. Moreover, the aluminum structure improves its strength and performance.
- 【WORKING LIGHT & PROTECTION】- There is a working light mounted on the chain sharpener chainsaw for lighting while you are using it in a dark place. The anti-slid handle also helps hold the machine tightly for protection.
- 【3000 RPM MOTOR】- The motor of the chainsaw chain sharpener is a commercial motor of 3000 RPM. It will make sure that your chains will not be burned or soften mistakenly.
- 【TILTING VISE & GRINDING WHEELS】- The tilting vise on the chainsaw sharpeners are suitable for semi-chisel & chisel style cutters. And the 5.5’’ large grinding wheels can help you sharpen the chain more efficiently.
- 【WIDE APPLICATION】- The chainsaw electric sharpener is widely used in your house or your working fields to polish and sharpen your items. The angle can be adjusted for your needs. It is applicable for chains of 1/4", 0.325", 3/8", and 0.404" pitch.
Easy-to-read Adjustment Guides: Timber Tuff CS-BWM Electric Chain Saw Chain Sharpener Review
- 110V/60 Hz motor with an input power of 230 watts and a motor speed of 3600 rpm for a very powerful motor that will keep your chains working like new; ETL and CETL approved
- Sharpens chains from ¼” to ¾” with easy and accurate sharpening; mounts to most work surfaces to provide a secure sharpening station.Maximum speed: 5800 rpm
- Easy-to-read adjustment guides make it easier to consistently sharpen your chains; see-through safety shield and 15 watt work light gives you good visibility while sharpening
- Includes thermo-overload protection for your safety; comes with 3 grinding wheels, 1/8”, 3/16”, and ¼”
- Gives you longer lasting chains with even cuts and even saves on the chain saw bar; 1 year limited Manufacturer’s warranty
Great Customer Service: Blue Max 20310 Electric Chainsaw Chain Sharpening Kit Review
- 12 volt DC (car/truck Battery)
- 55 watt motor
- Powerful 25000 RPM
- Sharpens any round-ground 1/4", 0.325", 3/8" or 0.404" - pitch chain
- Includes: 3 Sizes of sharpening stones: 5/32", 3/16", 7/32", 3Pc chucks, wrench, multi-wrench, Collet cover, sharpening guide
Time-saver: Granberg G1012XT Precision Grinder Review
- Used for/with: Sharpening all saw chains
- Fits: Will hold all stone sizes for standard chain pitches and lowering depth gauges.
- 12-volt, 24,000 rpm motorized chain saw sharpener made of cast aluminum, molded poly carbonate and zinc-plated steel. Includes one each of 5/32in, 3/16in, and 7/32in stones to sharpen standard chain pitches
- Use description: Use calibrated swivel guide markings to set and hold correct sharpening angle. Integrated features allow users to set file height and tooth length.
How Does a Chainsaw Sharpener Work?
Honestly, this is pretty straightforward. Depending on how often you are using a chainsaw, at some point, the teeth on the chain will become dull, and it will be more difficult to cut anything. Some might even break. In that case, you need a chainsaw sharpening kit to make the teeth on the chain sharp again. The sharpener grinds the teeth and makes them functional. When sharpening the chain, you are making sure that the chainsaw performs better and stays operational for a longer time. Having the best electric chainsaw sharpener will also turn out to be pretty cost-effective. If you don’t sharpen the chain, the teeth will become dull, and you will have to replace them, which can cost a lot.
Pros and Cons of Electric Chainsaw Sharpener
- It is budget-friendly
- It is time effective
- It is portable
- It always needs a power source to work
Electric vs. Manual Chainsaw Sharpener
As mentioned, there are electric and manual chainsaw sharpeners. How are they different? Well, an electric sharpener cannot function with electricity. Hence you either need to plug it into a power source or get the one that can be battery operated. Manual models don’t use electricity at all. They are powered only by your strength and movements. This way of sharpening the chainsaw is very slow. However, it is precise. Manual sharpeners are a better option for beginners.
The Best Electric Chainsaw Sharpener: Factors to Consider
When you are a beginner, choosing the best electric sharpener can be a bit overwhelming. That is why we researched some of the most essential factors that we need to consider. Here is what we found out.
There are two types of electric sharpeners for electric chainsaws – bench sharpener and handheld sharpener. The first model is attached to some type of work surface, such as a table or a bench and it functions as a metal grinder. Since they are pretty accurate, many people opt for them. The handheld model is portable. However, as it is in your hand, you have to control the speed and the accuracy. It is necessary to know that it is slower than a bench sharpener. Nevertheless, it allows you to sharpen the chain without removing it from the 50cc chainsaw or some other model.
Power and RPM
The power of the sharpener is an important factor because it determines how quickly it will grind the teeth. Most of these machines come with a motor that works at between 75 and 300 watts. The faster the motor, the sooner the process will be done. RPM refers to the speed at which the grinding stone turns. It stands for rotation per minute. The average speed is anywhere from 3000 to 4200 RPMs. Many people will automatically go for the fastest option thinking that they will get the job faster. However, you need to be careful, because very high speed can also damage the chainsaw chain.
Keep in mind that not all chainsaws are made equal. There are smaller and larger models, etc. Whether you bought a top-handle chainsaw or some other model, you need to make sure that it is compatible with the chains you are using. Pitch refers to the distance between cutting links, and it can vary. The most common are 3/8 inch and 3/8 inch low profile, and they are compatible with most chains. Nevertheless, the best is to check with the manufacturer.
- Digital technologies: It is the new generation of sharpeners, and many of them are also automatic chainsaw sharpeners. They come with the technology that can identify the exact angle of the sharpener. They also come with an LED display.
- Built-in light: It is a cool option to have. It enables you to see whether you are grinding at the right angle.
- Manual or hydraulic assist: You can find hydraulic assist on the newer models. It stops the chain from moving when it comes in contact with a spinning stone. However, even if you have an older model, don’t worry about it. Older models come with a manual knob which you can tighten to keep the cutting links in place. Things only get faster with hydraulic assist.
How to Sharpen a Chainsaw
- If you are using a bench sharpener, put the chain on the rail.
- Then you need to adjust the angle.
- Mark the starting point.
- Start sharpening the chainsaw with a spinning stone.
- Make sure that they are not too far apart.
- After you finish, change sides.
What is the Best Degree to Sharpen a Chainsaw Chain?
It depends a bit on the type of work you will be doing. For example, if you are getting ready for crosscutting, then it is best to sharpen the chain at 25 to 35 degrees. Ten degrees work best for cutting with the grain.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2021
Here we are at the end of our best electric chainsaw sharpener 2021 review! We hope you enjoyed it! Indeed, having to buy a new tool can seem challenging at first! However, as you could notice, after getting all the necessary information, you realize that it is not complex at all! Do you have a chainsaw? Are you thinking about buying a sharpener?