Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
Editor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
Top 4 Best Garage Floor Paints: Comparison Table
Best Overall: Durable Floor Protection - Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield Garage Floor Coating Review
Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield Garage Floor Coating
- Durable, 2-part epoxy formula works on interior concrete surfaces, such as garage floors, workshops, basements and more
- Professional glossy finish is easy to clean and provides a long lasting protection that is 5X harder than 1-part epoxy floor paint
- Walk on ready in 24 hours, vehicle and drive-on ready in 3 days
- Superior adhesion coating ensures no hot tire pickup and protects against gasoline, antifreeze, motor oil, and salt
- Low odor, low VOC gloss finish provides a show room shine
Impact & Abrasion Resistance: Top Quality - Rust-Oleum Professional Floor Coating Kit Review
Rust-Oleum Professional Floor Coating Kit
- High solids solvents based epoxy coating ideal for garage floors, basements, workshops, etc
- Provides superior resistance to chemicals, wear and even standing water
- Covers up to 200 sq feet per gallon and is ready for heavy foot traffic in 1 day, vehicle ready in 4 days
- Ultimate adhesion and durability, withstands heavy foot and vehicle traffic
- Semi-gloss finish, solid base color and decorative chips can be added. Top coat with Premium Clear Coating for ultra protection and a high-gloss finish
Fast Drying: KILZ Epoxy Acrylic Garage Floor Paint Review
KILZ Epoxy Acrylic Garage Floor Paint
- A good concrete floor paint is highly durable, easy to clean and won't scuff, fade, crack or blister easily, even from hot tires and other heavy activity.
- This single component, water-based floor paint is formulated to last in hard to clean areas like basements and garages. It's resistant to staining and damage from chemicals, Oil and gasoline.
- Use this high-durability floor paint on coated or uncoated concrete, masonry, stone and brick. This paint is ideal on high-traffic surfaces such as garage floors, basements, driveways and porches.
- KILZ concrete floor paint delivers a Satin finish that applies smoothly and evenly to floors and horizontal surfaces. Dries to touch in 2 hours. Recoat in 4 hours. Not intended for vertical surfaces.
- This is a 1-Gallon can of KILZ 1-part epoxy Acrylic interior/exterior concrete and garage floor paint in Slate Gray with a Satin finish.
Versatile: RTG Floor Paint Review
RTG Floor Paint
- Fast-drying, 1-part, water-based acrylic paint for garages, basements, and workshop floors. Great for high-traffic areas.
- Ultra-durable, waterproof coating resists chemicals, cracking, peeling, fading, and stains.
- Low-odor, low-VOC formula is ideal for shop and indoor use. Simple soap & water cleanup.
- Very easy to apply by brush or roller to properly prepared interior concrete, masonry, and wood surfaces.
- Color/Size/Finish/Coverage: Satin Gray/Gallon/Satin/300 sq. ft. per gallon. For interior use only.
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Garage Floor Paint
When purchasing the best concrete paint, you’ll want to pay close attention to what ingredients are in the paint. Depending on what the ingredients are, the garage floor will end up lasting longer and be resistant to wear and tear over the next few years. Why spend all of your time repairing your garage only to find out that the paint won’t hold up? It’s better to consider these buying points before you settle on the best garage floor paint for a specific type of paint.
How to Choose the Best Garage Floor Paint?
Choosing the best floor paint material is important, as this will help keep your floors in top shape. There are five main types of paints, which are used on garage floors, not all of them being paint; polyureas, urethanes, acrylics, latex, and epoxies.
In most cases, homeowners will decide to use more than one-floor paint and start to layer them on top of one another after they are dry. This can provide extra protection for your flooring. However, it should only be done if it’s known that the two materials are safe to be next to one another.
The most important parameter of the floor paint is the durability. Anyone looking for a clean finish on top of concrete will need high standards compared to someone who needs a workshop. The main component you’re looking for is heat durability and chemical durability for the best garage floor paint.
Heat durability refers to heat caused by the rubber from your tires. As this will start to wear down the flooring and even cause it to melt.
However, there’s also chemical durability. Chemical durability pertains to the workshop use. Any profession that uses harsh chemicals will need to avoid certain paints, especially best concrete paint that isn’t chemical-resistant.
Best Garage Floor Paint Types
Here’s a list of the most common materials for using the garage floor paint reviews:
Latex Garage Floor
The paint that you’ll most often see is made from latex materials. It’s commonly used in floor, wall, and craft paints. The only downside to this type of material is that it ranges on the more expensive side, but it’s one of the best choices when it comes to painting your garage floor. We’d say that this type of paint doesn’t have the best seal, but it generally works well for indoor and outdoor use. It also features quick drying times and is easy to apply without needing extra coatings.
Acrylic Garage Floor Paint
The next type of paint is called an acrylic. It needs to be put on top of a base coating or needs a primer mixed with it. Acrylic is less durable than latex, and should only be used in homes or places that don’t see a lot of action. The paint will start to peel if too hot of a surface touches it, including your car’s wheels. However, acrylic is one of the most affordable garage floor paints.
Epoxy Floor Paints
Epoxy floor paints are the middle ground when it comes to a mix of all attributes. It’s great as a stand-alone paint, but it should be used with proper knowledge. Epoxy works similarly to glue, which means it works well as s a sealant. It’s also very affordable, but you can still find higher end mixtures on the market. Lastly, epoxy is very durable, resistant to damage, and doesn’t crack, break, or peel. The only downside we’ve found using garage floor epoxy reviews is that it features very long drying times, sometimes taking days at a time.
The next best floor coating type is urethane, which is a better version of epoxy. It’s more flexible, absorbs harder impacts, and is stain resistant. This also allows it to be more resistant to chemicals, solvents and allows it to last a long time without any damage. It also doesn’t change if exposed to sunlight. However, it doesn’t work that well on concrete surfaces. It’s much thinner than epoxy and is only useful as a leveling paint.
The last material on our list is polyureas. It’s the fastest drying paint you’ll find on the market and features a full setting time of only five minutes. The downside to this is that you must know how to apply it and work fast. The mixture is durable but is excellent when used on concrete floors. However, it’s not advised to be used in places that have chemicals, as acids and solvents may wear down the coating.
The Best Garage Floor Paint. Final Advice
Keeping your garage floors in the best condition possible is vital. By using the garage paint, you can ensure your floor stays protected and in the best shape possible. However, the best floor paint for garage can help prevent damage, ensure your floors stay perfect, and can last longer without needing repairs. Also by updating the paint, you’ll have a better looking garage floor. This may not be an important factor for some, but having a matching floor can make a huge difference in the appearance of the garage.
But keep in mind the different buying considerations when you choose the best garage floor paint. Always pick a paint that has been specially mixed to work on concrete for garage floors. Some may need a different coating or may only be applied as a top coat, so it’s essential you do your research. Also, consider the durability. The whole point of using new paint on your floor is to ensure that the garage floor won’t get scratched or damaged. So, unless you like applying new coatings every few years, it’s best to get one that works well.
All of the products on homemakerguide list are the best garage floor paint on the market. However, there is one that stands out against others on the list and one that pops up in garage floor paint reviews. If we had to choose one, we’d select the Rust-Oleum EpoxyShield Garage Floor Coating. This product has the best balance of features regarding using it as floor paint. It features a quick drying time which allows you to get up and in your garage within 24 hours. It also can be applied directly to the surface flooring, which means less prep time and work for you. The amount of paint you get exceeds most on our list. We’d say that this is the best concrete paint on the market.