Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
Editor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
TOP 10 best portable air conditioners: Reviewed and Compared
Best Overall: SereneLife Portable Air Conditioner Review
SereneLife Portable Air Conditioner
- Dimensions: 14.6’’ L x 13.8’’ W x 27.2’’ H | Weight: 53.02 lbs
- Your purchase includes: Portable Air Conditioner, Window Mount Kit, Quick Setup Guide, Remote Control (batteries not included).
- Handy and portable: the SereneLife portable air conditioner system features a lightweight, handy, sleek body design intended to be used in the bedroom, living room or garage at home or office. It features rolling wheels for easy portability
- 3 operating modes: The compact floor AC indoor cooler conditioning unit features a simple electric Plug in operation and introduces 3 modes Cooling, dehumidifier and fan. The default mode is cooling, It is automatically activated after power on
- Built in dehumidifier: You don’t only get the cooling effect of the portable AC but also helps reduce humidity levels, acts as purifier which makes your home less hospitable to allergens such as dust mites, mildew by selecting dehumidifier mode
Anti-Bacterial Filtering System: FRIGIDAIRE FFPA0822U1 Portable Air Conditioner Review
FRIGIDAIRE FFPA0822U1 Portable Air Conditioner
- SPACEWISE PORTABLE DESIGN: At 18.7” W x 15.2” D x 27.9” H, the compact design of this Frigidaire portable air conditioner fits most rooms. Four wheels (included) allow you to easily move the unit from room to room, along with the window install kit and exhaust hose (included).
- EFFORTLESS TEMPERATURE CONTROL: This Frigidaire 8,000 BTU portable air conditioner (4,400 BTU, DOE) maintains the pre-set room temperature via an on-board thermostat.
- READY-SELECT CONTROLS: Easily select options at the touch of a button using the top electronic control panel or the included remote control. Switch between 4 fan speeds and 4 operating modes for ultimate control.
- EFFORTLESS CLEAN WASHABLE FILTER: Frigidaire’s reusable washable filter reduces airborne particles for a more comfortable environment. Simply wash and dry the filter to maintain superior performance. A dirty filter indicator light can be found on the control panel.
- EFFORTLESS RESTART: Automatically resumes operating at its previous settings when unit is powered back on via the on/off power button or after an outage.
Modern Dehumidifier function: hOmeLabs 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Review
hOmeLabs 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- PORTABLE, QUIET ENERGY-EFFICIENT AIR CONDITIONER - Experience a cool and relaxing day at home with the hOmelabs portable air conditioner. It cools quietly and is perfect for 450 to 600 square feet room with horizontal window opening. Equipped with an automatic vertical swing function that evenly distributes airflow throughout the room
- EASY TO INSTALL, NO HEAVY WINDOW UNIT TO LIFT - Our portable AC measures 17.9 x 15 x 30.7 inches and has wheels so it can be easily moved to any room that has a window accessible. Simply attach the hose and the window slide adapter, plug in the power supply and you’re good to go. Most customers are able to install in 8 minutes or less. At the end of a season or when you don’t need it, simply unhook the unit and store in your closet, basement or garage
- WASHABLE AIR FILTER AND REMOTE CONTROL - Keep your air clean and your portable AC running efficiently with the included washable filter. The filter indicator light will illuminate to remind you when to clean the air filter. We recommend you clean the filter approximately once every two weeks. The unit also comes with a remote control to quickly set your desired temperature, fan speed, change cooling modes or activate the sleep feature
Auto Drain Technology: Whynter ARC-14S 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner Review
Whynter ARC-14S 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
- 14,000 BTU (ASHRAE) / 9,500 BTU (SACC) cooling capacity
- Award Winning: 1. Good Housekeeping's "2020 Best Overall" and "can cool down a room faster than other portable units" 2. Consumer Report's 2020 Highest Score; UL listed
- Dual hose operation; Cools up to a 500 square feet space(ambient temperature and humidity may influence optimum performance); Dehumidifying capacity: 71 pints per day; Air Flow (at high speed): 430 m3/h / 253 CFM; 3 fan speeds
- Three operational modes: Air conditioner, dehumidifier or fan; Cooling capacity 14000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 9500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard); Maximum power consumption: 1300 W / 11.6 A.
- Eco-friendly CFC free Green R-32 refrigerant; Extendable exhaust hose (up to 60″); Window kit dimension: 6.5″ W x 20″ L (minimum), 46″ (maximum); Unit dimensions: 19″ W x 16″ D x 35.5″ H
Wifi-enabled: Midea Smart 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner Review
Midea Smart 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
- SmartCool: The Midea Portable Air Conditioner, ASHRAE rating 12, 000 BTU (6500 BTU 2017 SACC standard) delivers fast, effective cooling for spaces Up to 275 sq. ft while simultaneously providing fan and dehumidification functions in any home, bedroom, office or cabin; creating a relaxing and comfortable environment.
- WIFI Enabled & Voice Control: Control your portable AC from anywhere using our smartphone app. Switch modes, set a schedule, and more. Pairing your AC with Alexa or with Google Assistant, the unit will respond to voice commands, keeping your home cool and comfortable.
- EFFORTLESS OPERATION：Enjoy the simplicity and comfort of digital controls. The portable AC features an easy-to-read LED display and includes a compact remote control (batteries included) to easily set the time, temperature, and mode, from across the room. Its 24-hour adjustable timer can cool a room to a temperature between 62°F-90°F and has 3 modes to choose from - cooling, dehumidification, fan only.
- EASY INSTALLATION：Roll your air conditioner to the preferred cooling area, attach the 5ft hose and adjustable window brackets (fits openings from 26. 5-48“), turn the unit on and let your cooling begin! An exhaust hose and window kit are included, no extra tools are needed for assembly. Installation instructions are simple and can be done by anyone.
- WASHABLE AIR FILTER：To provide clean cool air, we designed a removable and reusable air filter to protect your family and living space from dust and pet hairs. We recommend you clean the filter every month of operation in order to extend the life and performance of this unit.
Self-evaporating: SHINCO Portable Air Conditioner Review
SHINCO Portable Air Conditioner
- 【EASY-COOL】- Compact 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Unit, Delivers Fast, Effective Cooling for Spaces Up to 400 Sq.Ft in Home, Bedroom, dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms. When the room is cool enough, switch to the first speed level,this air conditioner will become quiet(Noise ≤52dB), enough to maintain the temperature while you are sleeping.
- 【3-in-1 FUNCTIONALITY】- It has 3 modes to choose from - cooling, dehumidification, fan only. Air conditioner cools your room quickly; 3-speed fan satisfies your needs. With 43.2L/day dehumidifying capacity, the dehumidifier function is a quick fix for stopping the growing of bacteria and mold in hot and humid environment.Bucket-less, self-evaporating operation makes your living space cool, clean and dry.
- 【EASY-TO-USE】- LED display and simple selections control panel,full-featured remote, 24-hr timer, plus a quiet ＜52dB output on Low speed mode for disturbance-free nights.Four castors wheels make it easy to move from place to place, You can place it on bedroom, study, living room, kitchen, small office, RV, party and etc.
- 【QUICK INSTALLATION】- Your purchase includes: Portable Air Conditioner, Sliding Window Mount Kit, Quick Setup Guide, Remote Control (batteries not included). Move your air conditioner to the preferred cooling area, attach the 59" hose and adjustable window brackets (fits openings from 25 - 51“), turn the unit on and let your cooling begin! An exhaust hose and window kit are included, no extra tools are needed for assembly. Installation instructions are simple and can be done by anyone.
- 【Perfect After Service】- All of Shinco Portable Air Conditioner Units are covered with 30-Days Money Back, 1 Year Warranty and lifetime expert tech support. If you have any problems, please contact our team to get help.we will reply to you within 24 hours and help you solve the problems.
Ergonomic and Portable Design: BLACK+DECKER Portable Air Conditioner Review
BLACK+DECKER Portable Air Conditioner
- QUIET & POWERFUL - Our 6,000 BTU DOE (10,000 BTU ASHRAE) compact air conditioner (16.5 x 11.5 x 26 in,) will keep you cool and comfortable all summer. An adjustable fan speed cools the air to 65°F at the coolest setting. Sleep mode makes it extra quiet while you rest
- PERFECT FOR SMALL ROOMS - This floor-standing portable AC unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling for rooms up to 150 sq. ft. It’s the ideal small air conditioner for dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms
- SIMPLE & QUICK TO INSTALL – Just wheel this portable air conditioner into any room with a double hung or sliding window. Attach the included hose (4’ 11”) & window adapter, & plug it in to an outlet! At the end of the season, just unhook & store
- EASY TO USE & CLEAN – The simple remote control & top-mounted LED display with 24-hour timer allow you to precisely control the air temperature. To clean the filter, just slide it out twice a month, rinse it thoroughly under running water, & put it back
- 3-in-1 FUNCTIONALITY - Combines 3 energy efficient functions for all of your cooling & ventilation needs with cool, fan, & dehumidifying modes all in one machine. Bucket-less, self-evaporating operation makes your living space cool, clean and dry
Smart Digital Thermostat: Honeywell MN14CHCSBB Portable Air Conditioner Review
Honeywell MN14CHCSBB Portable Air Conditioner
- Dual filtration system designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filters clean easily under a faucet for easy maintenance. Full set window kit included for quick & easy installation for vertical and horizontal windows (max. Hose length is 4 feet)
- Stylish, powerful & dependable – 4-in-1 all season appliance cools/heats a room up to 550-700 sq. Ft. Thermal overload protection for added safety & peace of mind. Adjustable vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool air evenly for fast & consistent cooling
- Designed for comfort with 3 fan speeds, digital controls with advanced LCD display, 24 hour energy saving timer & remote control
- Stress-free auto evaporation in cooling mode – no bucket to empty (except in areas with high humidity). built-in dehumidifier removes up to 95 pints/24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation
- 14000 btu (ashrae-128 standard)/7500 btu (doe+ 2017 standard)
Eco-friendly Refrigerant: SPT Portable Air Conditioner Review
SPT Portable Air Conditioner
- Four operational modes: Cooling / Dehumidifying / Fan
- 12,000btu cooling power
- Digital temperature display and remote control
- Eco-friendly R410 refrigerant
- Choice of programmable timer (24 hours) or continuous operation
Dual Hose: Whynter Portable Air Conditioner Review
Whynter Portable Air Conditioner
- 14,000 BTU (ASHRAE) / 10,300 BTU (SACC) cooling capacity
- Four Operational Modes: Auto, Cool, Dehumidify, and Fan. Fan settings include 3 speeds with directional air discharge louvers
- Adjustable temp (62 -88 degrees F), 24 hour programmable timer, 71 pints/day dehumidifying capacity with continuous and manual drain methods
- Noise level: <55 dBA , air flow (at high speed): 497m3/h / 292 CFM, maximum power consumption: 1580W / 11.9A, power supply: 115 V / 60Hz
- UL listed, LCDI plug, R-32 refrigerant, single hose, Activated Carbon Filter and Silver shield washable pre-filter
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need to Know About the best portable air conditioners
What is a portable air conditioner?
A portable air conditioner is a portable system cooling engine for self-contain suitable for a single room or used to assist a weak central (HVAC) system. They are mobile and freestanding mini portable air conditioners which makes it different from window unit AC.
How does a portable air conditioner work?
There are quite a several processes that happen for a portable air conditioner to be cool.
All the best portable air conditioner brand function with gaseous refrigerant introduced to the system. The gas functions and respond to pressure making it either high/low then turn to liquid and gas interchangeably to give the cool feeling. When the gas is on the low pressure, it is sent to the compressor where the gas is pressurized and converted to high-pressure gas. And then sent to condenser coils, evaporator coils, and blower.
Portable air conditioner vs window unit
Both portable air conditioning units and window units work similarly and go through the same working processes. To determine the best portable air conditioner for an apartment suitable for your room, you will have to consider your particular situation. There are a series of factors you need to consider such as the type of room you want to place the ac; does it have a window? What kind of window does it have? Answering all these questions will help you know what is required. A portable air conditioning unit is the easiest to install because it comes with kits that you can use to take exhaust outside. The only advantage the window unit seems to have over portable ac is that it does not take any physical space indoor.
How many BTU air conditioners do I need?
BTU otherwise known as the British Thermal Unit is the energy needed to raise one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit while at sea level. The higher the rate of BTUs the higher the cooling intensity. You can calculate BTU using calculation formula which requires you to measure the room’s square footage and the ceiling height.
How to Choose the best portable air conditioners?
Choosing the best portable air conditioners on the market is a daunting task as you have to be sure whether you will get value for the money budgeted for a portable air conditioner. All air conditioner brands have similar promises that propel you to buy the products. The product might seem alike, but their feature and functions differ. Thus, we have highlighted here basic features the best air conditioners must-have.
The size of the air conditioner is very important and the size is determinant by the space you intend to keep it If your room is small, you may opt for a compact unit that weighs around 45-70 pounds. A small portable air conditioner is usually thin and takes few feet up the floor space. Another bulky air conditioner weighs around 80 pounds depending on the manufacturer.
You can check if your ac has a fan mode to know the fan power. Fan power of an AC compared to best window fans is more efficient. The fan power will help you determine fan mode is like because your AC doesn’t run with compressor on during Fan mode. The fan mode consumes less power although the ac would not be producing cool air.
The cooling area of a portable air conditioner depends on the BTU. Most time while it is estimated that 8000 BTUs can cover 200 sq. ft., then 5000 BTUs portable air conditioner will cover less. The higher the BTUs the higher the cooling area. However, you should note that environmental factors increase or reduce the BTU required per time
Some portable personal air conditioners can run on both heating mode and cooling mode. When you want to buy ac, one thing to consider is the heat mode. During the heat mode operation, the compressor slows down and stops this is usually effective when there is cold.
Dehumidifier mode is also known as a dry mode. Not all ac has dehumidifier mode, but it is effective more during the rainy season where there is a lot of moisture in the atmosphere. The dehumidifier mode removes the moisture and function to make the environment cool enough.
The remote control allows you to control the settings of your portable AC. While some remote control is physical, others are digital. Even portable air conditioner for camping has a remote control to set the timer and the preferred mode of operation,
The timer helps to control the time of use of your ac. The timer is a special feature that will help you to determine when your conditioner will work.
The noise level of a small portable air conditioner varies. While there are quite portable air conditioners there are portable ac that is louder. A typical portable ac unit sound is between 50 to 80 dB While some people pay less attention to noise level, light sleepers should avoid interruption and distraction in sleep.
Portable air conditioner and heater are energy efficient because they use less power compared to other large ac. For some people, they use the small portable air conditioner for camping to make cumulative energy consumption low.
Using an energy-efficient portable air conditioner will help you manage utility expenses. The energy efficiency is calculated by the energy efficiency ratio which measures the BTU ratio. When you want to buy your portable air conditioner which indicates EER, watt, and BTU.
While there are ventless portable air conditioners, the vented one requires a window kit to successfully install it. The best portable ac comes with a window kit to install it while there is a portable air conditioner without hose.
The price is mostly determined by the power of the BTU, display and filtering system. The new ac cost around $500 or more. There affordable and cheap portable air conditioners which cost around $300 which can be used for a small room.
Best portable air conditioners types
The single hose portable hair conditioner uses a single hose to pull air from inside the room and expel the warm air and moisture outside.
Dual hose portable air conditioner uses two separate hoses. One hose pulls air from within the house while the other expels the moisture and warmer air and draws air inside.
Best portable air conditioners FAQ
How to install portable air conditioner without window
While a window is likely the most convenient way for a portable air conditioner to vent, it can be installed where there is no window. You will successfully install when you attach the exhaust tube to an air vent that is leading directly outside.
Do portable air conditioners work without a window?
It is possible to use portable AC without window access but it doesn’t seem ideal.
How do portable air conditioners drain water?
If the environment is humid, the AC collects moisture and store in the internal reservoir, once the internal reservoir is full, there is an indication and you drain it, unlike a mini portable car air conditioner that requires no draining.
How long can you run a portable air conditioner?
Your portable ac can run 24/7 but you should use only when you need it to save utility cost and make it last longer.
How to clean a portable air conditioner?
To clean your AC, you can wipe the outside with damp cloth and cleaning agents. However, avoid bleaching cleaning agents that can damage your AC. You can deep clean by unplugging and using coil cleaner and you can engage a professional cleaner.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2021
It is no gainsaying that such a product that adds class to the kitchen as best knife sharpener can be bought for a considerable amount. Our pick is SereneLife Portable Air Conditioner. It reduces odors and airborne particles in your apartment. It also offers flexible control of the portable ac unit with a remote control that affords you the ability to correct precisely to the temperature you are comfortable within your house. With the timer, you can set a flexible time for on and off. Thus, at homemakerguide, we recommend SereneLife Portable Air Conditioner as the overall best portable air conditioner 2021.