Handy Home Master created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
Editor-in-Chief of the Handy Home Master
Top 10 Best Travel Pillows: Comparison Table
The obvious way to get started with your search for a best travel neck pillow is to go through some pillow comparison online. After all, there are so many different models out there, and each of them has the pros and cons of its own. Moreover, the choice of options is pretty impressive — different shapes, textures, and brands — evolution pillow, j-model, inflatable version, contoured one — mean that making your choice can become a bit challenging. This is exactly why we decided to come up with a list of best travel pillow reviews. Our fullest compilation includes both inflatable travel pillow reviews and non-inflatable neck pillow reviews. On the whole, the first type is more compact, while the second one ensures steadier neck and head support. The other features are pretty much the same. Still, as you will find out after reading our travel neck pillow reviews, different models come with different perks of their own. So, if you would like to make your travels truly relaxing, get down to our pillow comparison — it should offer you a really nice start with your search. Based on our expertise in the area and customer ratings from all over the globe, the info should be more than enough to help you find the best travel pillow!
Best Overall: Top Comfort - Phixnozar Memory Foam Travel Pillow Review
Phixnozar Memory Foam Travel Pillow Review
- THE SOLUTION IS HERE: Do you travel a lot by plane or train? Are you tired with all of the discomfort and neck pain? The solution is finally here with our amazing travel pillow. Enjoy your rest, and relax like never before!
- IMPROVED SUPPORT: The ingeniously designed neck pillow features ideal curves to prevent your head from shifting around, comfortably holding your neck in place, helping prevent any neck soreness or pains that usually come with traveling.
- GUARANTEED TO FIT YOU: The travel pillow is built with an adjustable rope lock so you can easily adjust the angle and size for total comfort. Moreover, as the neck pillow is adjustable, it will fit any neck size perfectly.
- VERSATILE: This is so much more than a neck pillow! The smart ergonomic design allows you to use the travel pillow to sleep on any table or flat surface. Simply turn it upside down! Use the pillow and relax everywhere: in the office, on the plane, bus, or train!
- ULTRA SOFT: The memory foam pillow has an extremely soft cover, that feels amazing on your skin. Moreover, the cover is made from sweat-resistant fabric for additional comfort, and is machine washable!
Perfect Size: Best For Sleeping - VISCO LOVE ProComf Travel and Camping Pillow Review
VISCO LOVE ProComf Travel and Camping Pillow Review
- PERFECT CUSHIONS FOR UNDERWAY: Whether traveling, by car, plane, train, hotel for a "Power Nap" in the office or on the couch. For a restful and quiet sleep is always taken care of. With our viscoelastic Volar, you will never have to do without the comfort of your home.
- LIGHT AND SPACE: The TRAVEL MATE weighs less than half a liter of water and comes in a practical travel bag. Thanks to handy travel bag, it can be carried everywhere. See pictures.
- ERGONOMIC AND ORTHOPEDIC: Together with sleep experts, we have developed the Smart foam pillow, which provides a perfect sleeping experience and ideal night-time recovery. Our pillow provides an optimal support for the neck and cervical spine (HWS), which prevents back and neck pain as well as tension.
- MOISTURE MANAGEMENT: Microcapsules with a special thermic coating, as well as ventilation ducts integrated into the pillow, ensure optimal ventilation, ideal temperature management and keep you in a healthy microclimate during your sleep. This means less sweating and freezing in your sleep.
Top Inflatable Model: Metene Travel Pillow Review
Metene Travel Pillow Review
- Inflatable travel pillow without blowing : This travel pillow inflates with a button. Press repeatedly on the lower profile of the pillow till you reach your expected inflation. To release the air, just push double sealed black air valve given on the pillow
- Scientific design : Innovative design for metene Travel Pillow will give you utmost comfort by providing a‘Raised Neck Support' to hold your head upright and maintain proper neck alignment
- Soft velvet material and washable cover : This travel pillow is manufactured with very soft, micro-velvet fabric, so it is a excellent travel pillow for kids with soft quality. Besides, the cover is removable and washable
- Easy to carry : After deflation, you can easily put the travel pillow into the bag. it will be a great portable travel pillow for cars, trains and airplanes
- Perfect gift for your loved ones : Let your love ones taking vacations more comfortable with metene inflatable travel pillow
Great For Long Flights: Cabeau Evolution S3 Travel Pillow Review
Cabeau Evolution S3 Travel Pillow Review
- ULTIMATE TRAVEL PILLOW: Our memory foam travel pillow is the ideal car pillow for road trips or the perfect airplane neck pillow to catch some sleep on a long flight. Top off your travel kit with this premium support pillow to help avoid neck pain.
- EXCLUSIVE STRAPS - Attach our neck pillow for travel to ANY chair, including airplane seats or office chairs to prevent slouching or falling forward, keeping head and spine in perfect alignment for ultimate comfort and support.
- ERGONOMIC MEMORY FOAM DESIGN: Unlike other neck pillows for travel or gaming, our dual-density memory foam pillow provides comfort whether your head leans forward or to the side, featuring a custom-adjustable clasp for chin support.
- PROFESSIONALLY RECOMMENDED: The Cabeau pillow is orthopedic expert-approved and recommended to support any seated activity that tires the muscles supporting the head. Enjoy fully supported relaxation with our headrest pillow for neck pain support.
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: The Evolution S3 comes with a washable pillow cover, as well as a carry bag that allows the pillow to compress down to half its size. Quick-release clasp attaches case to your luggage, saving critical packing space.
Designed For Kids: BCOZZY Kids Chin Supporting Travel Pillow Review
BCOZZY Kids Chin Supporting Travel Pillow Review
- BEST CHIN AND HEAD COMFORTABLE SUPPORT- With our breathable soft fabrics and adjustable pillow arms, the BCOZZY travel neck pillow gives kids the best road trip sleep. The original patented curved design molds to the child’s neck for the best cozy fit and works perfectly to keep the child’s head in a comfortable position when traveling.
- FLAT BACK- helps the child’s head from being pushed down and fall forward when sleeping in a booster and car seat so that they will be able to sleep and arrive at the destination well-rested.
- DURABLE, SOFT, AND FULLY MACHINE WASHABLE- Neck pillows for traveling meant to help the trip, and that is why our neck pillow is easy to clean so that it is always fresh for your child on their road or airplane adventure.
- BUILT-IN SNAP STRAP- Makes it easy to hang the travel neck pillow anywhere you go, a must-have on all airplane travel essentials, so you will not lose anything. This built-in travel accessory makes it easy to hang on hooks or secure to a backpack or trolley and helps keep the kid's pillow clean and save on space.
- A GREAT GIFT TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS- Give your friends and family a great gift that will help any child to sleep longer and better on trips. BCOZZY travel pillow for kids come in 2 sizes- Small size best suited for children 3-7 years, and Medium size for children ages 8-12 years.
Versatile: Dot&Dot Twist Memory Foam Travel Pillow for Neck Review
Dot&Dot Twist Memory Foam Travel Pillow for Neck Review
- Provides Custom Support - Unlike most traditional airline travel pillows, our twistable travel pillows contour to almost any shape and position you want to provide you personalized support and pain relief.
- Not Just A Neck Pillow - Dot&Dot travel neck pillow is versatile and is convertible. Use it to support your head, back, shoulder, or cervical spine during a nap, when relaxing or reading on the bed or couch.
- A "Must Have" For Travel - This flight pillow makes sleeping more comfortable on air planes, trains, buses or cars. The luxury memory foam cushions the body and relieves painful pressure points for ultimate relaxation.
- Easy To Clean - Our memory foam pillow is covered with breathable, machine washable cotton cover so you can easily keep it clean and fresh for your next adventure or trip.
- Easy To Carry - With its snap closure, this cushion can be attached to your carry on luggage or backpack. It also allows you to secure the pillow around your neck or car headrest.
Lightweight & Well-made: Cloudz Microbead Travel Neck Pillow
Cloudz Microbead Travel Neck Pillow Review
- THE ORIGINAL MICROBEAD TRAVEL PILLOW by Clöudz! Why take a chance on an imitation? For over 15 years, Millions of happy travelers have used our pillows in airports around the globe!
- FILLED WITH EXCLUSIVE, ULTRA-PREMIUM Comforlite MICROBEADS. Our super small polystyrene beads will give you the relaxing support you need and will conform to your every position. However, they will not crush easily like so many other pillows on the market who use inferior quality beads. Buy the pillow that lasts!
- DUAL COMFORT! Super soft and cozy plush on one side and cool, relaxing spandex on the other. It’s like having TWO pillows and everyone knows how important it is to have flexibility during travel.
- SNAP CLOSURE. Allows you to secure the pillow around your neck to help prevent your head from falling forward so you can catch some Z’s! EASILY ATTACHES TO LUGGAGE. Simply snap around the handle of your luggage or to your backpack. A very handy feature during your travels.
- USE IT AS A LUMBAR SUPPORT! Our pillow doubles as a lumbar support. Super soft and super versatile. USE IT FRONTWARDS LIKE A MASSAGE TABLE PILLOW! Simply close the snap and rest your face forward into the pillow. USE ON-THE-GO OR AT HOME. Our pillow is just as comfortable on the couch or on the bed!
Easy To Use: Sunany Inflatable Neck Pillow Review
Sunany Inflatable Neck Pillow Review
- Multi-functional accessories: this inflatable travel pillow is the beginning of a good long journey or napping in the office. Your waist, head, neck, shoulders will no longer feel uncomfortable, just choose the posture you like to relax and have a good sleep and napping. You also can watch movies or play games on your phone within the pillow
- Free gifts: come with the free eye mask, earplugs, help you sleep faster and enjoy your sleep on the trip
- Inflate and deflate easily: the travel pillow will be inflated with a few breaths of air and release the air just by pressing one button. Easy to pack, so it doesn't take up much space in your carry-on
- Like sleep on feather: these travel pillow are made of pvc flocking, the surface material is soft to the touch and caresses your face, nicely
- Super compact ultralight travel pillow: easy to pack and inflatable so it doesn't take up much space with the ultralight weight of 11.2 oz., easily attaches to luggage
Patented Construction: trtl Neck Support Travel Pillow Review
trtl Neck Support Travel Pillow Review
- The TRTL PILLOW is a SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN travel pillow to keep your head in a BETTER POSITION when sleeping upright by holding your head in an ergonomic position during rest. No more nodding heads!
- SUPER SOFT fleece combined with a unique hidden internal SUPPORT, plus some EXTRA COSY CUSHIONING creates a comfortable resting place for your head and neck. Available in RED, GREY, CORAL and BLACK so you can find a colour that suits your style.
- Our UNIQUE PATENTED DESIGN is your ticket to an awesome night’s sleep, wherever you are. Designed to look like a SCARF, the Trtl Pillow can be easily adjusted to your comfort.
- The Trtl Pillow is EASY TO ATTACH to the handle of your backpack or outside of your luggage, and it only WEIGHS HALF A POUND (148 grams)! Say goodbye to bulky neck pillows taking up precious space in your carry on, or weighing you down at duty free.
- ALWAYS FRESH and ready to go, The Trtl Pillow is also MACHINE WASHABLE!
Machine Washable: J-Pillow Chin Supporting Travel Pillow Review
J-Pillow Chin Supporting Travel Pillow Review
- BEST TRAVEL PILLOW — Ingenious chin support keeps head from falling forward, provides neck support by filling gap between head and shoulders making it the best patented travel support pillow for travel and home.
- If you are interested in trying the J-pillow travel pillow, we have extended our return’s policy to 6 months. You are able to return the pillow at any time during this period for a no questions asked refund, just contact Jensen’s Inventions through amazon.
- PERFECT FOR THE HOME – Crafted for relaxing the head and neck muscles when watching TV or reading and for stabilizing the head for people having trouble holding the head up and need support or to sleep in an upright position.
- SUPER SOFT AND BEST SUPPORT — Supports and keeps head elevated in perfect position for restful sleep. Winner of the prestigious British Invention of the Year.
- EASY CARE AND CARRYING — Handy snap-loop fastener attaches to luggage, durable machine washable, more flexible than standard memory foam travel pillows.
Buyer’s Guide: All You Need To Know About The Best Travel Pillows
Inflatable vs Non-inflatable Travel Pillows
Based on the inflatable travel pillow reviews, these models are the undeniable leaders. No surprise about that — when non-inflated, the pillows do not take any space at all. So, if you are looking for the best travel pillow that would be very compact and light at the same time, an inflatable travel pillow is a wise choice. The idea is simply perfect for public transport — whether a bus, a train, or a plane. However, remember that air models offer less support than cushioned and foam pillows.
Non-inflatable Travel Pillows: 12X16 vs 14X20
This is one of those decisions where a travel pillow review will not be helpful at all: after all, the size is an individual factor, and no one but you can make this decision. On the whole, smaller versions are lighter and can accommodate most people. But, if you prefer some extra comfort and do not mind a bit of extra weight, why not go with a larger model? Plus, if you use your own transport means, there is usually some space left for a bulkier pillow.
How to Choose the Best Travel Pillow?
One more thing no travel pillow review will point out is how to choose the perfect model for your needs. No worries, though — we have already taken care of that below.
Mode of Travel
This is one of the most important aspects. If you have a lot of luggage, use public transport, or simply love to travel light — the more compact the pillow is, the better.
A plane, bus, or a car seat is not your bed, so the range of positions will be quite limited. In any case, you will stay upright, so the only factor to consider here is whether you like your head to remain straight or you want to keep the head to your side. Any kind of travel-designed pillow is suitable in the first case scenario. If you like your head to the side, j-shaped models are the perfect option.
Our travel pillow review section focused mostly on-air and memory foam fillings. However, other options are also possible, and some of them might be more suitable for your needs and sleeping habits.
A very soft, fluffy pillow that will make you feel at home even on a public bus. The biggest drawback of this filling type is that it gets flat under your body pressure and does not offer sturdy support. On the upside, most down pillows can be washed in the machine.
One of the best options for people who are looking for great neck and head support, memory foam molds to your body shape and ensures the best travel experience. On the downside, these pillows slowly retrieve their shape and may emit some unpleasant chemical smells.
A great example of a synthetic filling type that adjusts to your sleeping position. And, differently from memory foam models, it adjusts the shape quickly. Microbeads can emit some chemical odors, too, but the issue is not too common. Another drawback you should bear in mind is that beads are usually pretty heavy, which is not always ‘compatible’ with travel.
Some of the cheapest pillows made for trips often come with a different kind of synthetic filling — usually, the blend of polyester and cotton fiber. Similar to down pillows, these models will be comfortable, but they will not provide the much-needed head and neck support.
Perhaps, one of the most durable filling types out there. Wool is soft, but sturdy, which is why it ensures great support. It is also relatively quick to adjust to your body shape. Differently from most synthetic fillings, wool can be regularly washed. However, it is quite heavy, which is why not a perfect choice for common carriers.
The main reason for going with inflatable travel pillows is that they are soft, adjustable, and support — a great combo you cannot fight! However, it has a couple of cons, too. First of all, the support is relatively poor. Next, these pillows are easily damageable — one pop, and you are done.
Allergies if any
And, of course, you should remember that some fillings (especially natural ones, like down and wool) may trigger allergies. If you suffer from any of those, hypoallergenic foam is the best decision.
On the one hand, established brands guarantee higher quality. On the other, they charge extra for their name. But, given the low cost on all portable pillows, a little extra charge for a quality guarantee is well worth it.
Even the top-selling models are available at an affordable cost, so if you see a pillow that is obviously overpriced, there must be something wrong with the store.
Best Travel Pillows Types
Standard Cushion Pillows
No one says you cannot take a standard pillow on a trip. Sure, it will have to be pretty compact, and this decision can be associated with a number of cons, but if you are driving in the passenger seat of your own car, a classic pillow can come really handy.
The details are in the name — this model has a curved J-like shape. The j pillow, differently from the majority of models designed for travel, can support not only your head and neck but also your chin. So, if you like sleeping with your head to the side, the j pillow is the only reasonable choice.
Another great example of a pillow that can prove handy on the road, the U-shape model will ensure ultimate support for your head and neck. On the downside, it can be a little bulky, which is why it is not the best option while traveling with a common carrier. In a car, on the other hand, it can prove pretty useful — especially if you are not the one in the driver’s seat. On a train, plane, or a bus, a U-shaped model can also support your lower back.
Another great example of a pillow that is not designed for travel, but can prove pretty useful on the road. Differently from most travel models, this little piece can ensure lumbar (lower back) support. Most of the wedge pillows are made of memory foam, which means that they can adjust to the shape of your body. So, even if taking a wedge pillow on a trip might seem a bit strange, the idea is not as bad as it sounds.
Cylinder, aka roll pillows, are another great example of a model that has not been designed for travels specifically, but can still make your trips more enjoyable. This shape can ensure great neck support. However, it will not keep your head from falling, which is a serious drawback.
Travel Collar Pillows
Most of the neck models look like a collar; this goes both for leading brands, like evolution pillow and cheap Chinese counterparts. This shape is, in fact, what everyone imagines when thinking of a pillow made for travel. Still, despite the variety of options in this particular category, available pillows are not quite the same. No matter if you choose to go with leaders, including evolution pillow, Travelrest, or any other brands we have not covered, stick to quality European and US models that meet international quality standards.
The last type of pillow made for travel is the curved one. On the whole, it is pretty much the same as a neck collar, but looks a bit more like C, with a broader slot for your neck. So, if you feel that standard collars are too suffocating, you can always go with a slightly wider option.
Best Travel Pillows Care and Maintenance Tips
No doubt, a quality travel pillow review and the instruction manual already give you enough insight on how to maintain the pillow. Still, consider some of our suggestions, too. They will help to significantly prolong the life span of your chosen model.
- always carry the pillow in a case;
- before washing, always consult manufacturer’s recommendations;
- wash the removable cover after each trip;
- think of getting a spare removable cover if you travel often.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2022
After reading all of HandyHomeMaster travel neck pillow reviews, and going through the ultimate shopping guide, you should have no difficulty figuring out the best travel pillow, designed specifically for your needs. But, before you hit the stores, we would like to briefly summarise the main highlights of the article to make sure no vital information skipped your attention. All in all, most pillow models, designed for trips and travel, are pretty much like. Unless you choose to go with some exotic filling options (like feather or wool), you will have a choice between standard neck model with memory foam filling or an inflatable travel pillow. Even though the latter one will require re-inflating on the long trips and will not offer such sturdy support as a memory foam piece, it is way more compact, which makes this model an undeniable champion on the road.