Home Maker Guide created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
ARCHIE ADAMSEditor-in-Chief of the Home Maker Guide
You may have heard of these guys before. They’re called Das Keyboard. In fact, I think I recall that I’ve done reviews on various Das Keyboards in the past. But they’ve got something new that they’re bringing to the game. If you’re unfamiliar with them, they do mechanical keyboards that are legendary.
What I noticed that didn’t exist on my previous Das Keyboard is the white backlighting. It’s called the Prime 13 high-performance mechanical keyboard. It’s kind of aggressive. They wrote it right on the box: The ultimate experience for badasses.
You can get it with other switches if you prefer MX blue or so on. This Das Keyboard is made with anodized aluminum top panel for improved durability. That’s cool. It also has a full n-key rollover faster for gaming or typing. It has a USB port right on it. And a keycap puller to remove keys, to place keys, and so on.
Das Keyboards are legends in the keyboard game. They got the newest, they got the latest, and they got the greatest.
Anodized Aluminum Top Deck
Here’s what we’re looking at. My understanding is the top deck is now completely aluminum which I’m pretty pumped for. They’re not messing around. The top deck is really aluminum. It’s black, but it’s kind of got luminescence to it. It seems to be picking up the light a little and so it is almost looking kind of gray. It is clicky, but there’s no like switch click. I mean, if that’s the noise that turns you on, you got it here. They went for the traditional keyboard feet. I kinda like that.
It has a braided cable which terminates into two USB cables. It is gold-plated which is pretty nice and the reason for this USB is that you do have another USB port on the upper right side corner. It’s only USB 2.0 and I guess it could have been nice for those 3.0. But 2.0 should work for at least charging up your phone, connecting a USB thumb drive, and more. It’s nice to have an extra one right on your desktop.
But what about the new features and functions? What about the backlight? Let’s dim some lights and watch this baby glow. Boom! It comes to life which is really nice. It has white backlighting. And there are levels to it, you can control that via the f keys. They sort of utilized the side of the keys along the top to show you the different functions available, from the volume, the media buttons over here for play pause next, and so on. And then the controls for the brightness of the backlight are on F1 and F2 respectively whether you want it on or don’t want it on. Why would you want a backlit keyboard? I guess it’s pretty obvious you’re in a dimly lit environment or you just want more contrast on the keys when you’re working at night.
- 4 PROFESSIONAL MECHANICAL KEYBOARD - The thinnest mechanical keyboard in the world! The combination of tactile feel, the psycho-acoustic experience and incredible craftsmanship all deliver an unmatched typing experience that only Das Keyboard 4 offers. With a Das Keyboard 4, you'll type faster and longer. It feels so good, you won't want to stop.
- PREMIUM TACTILE EXPERIENCE - Best-in-class Cherry MX Blue mechanical key switches provide tactile and audio feedback so accurate it allows you to execute every keystroke with lightning-fast precision. Factory lubricated stabilizers on large keys for smooth typing with bumps on the F and J keys. Enjoy the tactile experience you love from a mechanical keyboard, with just enough sound to satisfy you - and not annoy your coworkers!
- UP TO 50 MILLION KEYSTROKES - Laser-etched keycaps for maximum durability are paired with Cherry MX Blue switches, giving your new mechanical keyboard life up to 50 million keystrokes. High-performance, gold-plated switches provide the best contact and typing experience because, unlike other metals, gold does not rust, increasing the lifespan of the switch.
- FULL N-KEY ROLLOVER - Fast typists, productive professionals and gamers will appreciate that Das Keyboard 4 for Mac supports full NKRO over USB. No need to use a PS2 adapter anymore. Just press shift + mute to toggle to NKRO.
- 2 PORT USB 3.0 HUB & MORE - The convenience to charge USB devices & simultaneously upload content through USB is right at your fingertips. A blazing fast 2- port USB 3.0 hub to transfer music, high resolution pics & large videos at up to 5Gb/second. That’s 10x faster than USB 2.0. Extra long 6.5ft(201cm) USB cable w/ single USB A connector. Dedicated media controls, LARGE VOLUME KNOB & Mac OS specific key functions. Magnetically detachable footbar ruler to raise keyboard to an optimal 4-degrees.
What I like about Das Keyboard it’s a little understated. When they do something it’s like, “Yeah, we get it you want to game, alright. We want to give you the mechanical key switches. We know you’re a power user, but we’re not going to go over the top with it. You can have a nice white backlight, pick your key switches, and end up with something a little more subtle but still functional: the new Prime 13 Das Keyboard.”
I don’t know if it’s the first backlit version, but it’s the first one that I’ve seen. I think it’s just a little tweak on something that’s already wonderful.