Handy Home Master created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
ARCHIE ADAMSEditor-in-Chief of the Handy Home Master
Maintaining humidity is one of the problems that homes face and as minors, as this problem may seem, humidity can pose a big problem if it isn’t maintained well. As much as dry air can cause quite a several health problems, a lot of humidity is also not any better as it has quite many health risks such as allergy problems. Too much humidity can also cause bad home problems like growth of mold and mildew and wall discoloration in the house.
If your home, office or a certain part of your home is afflicted with moisture and humidity, a dehumidifier is what you need. Having a dehumidifier in the house helps in getting rid of excess moisture in the atmosphere thereby regulating humidity to a moderate level where the lives of living and nonliving organisms like furniture would no longer be at risk. As opposed to a dehumidifier, when to use a humidifier is when you are looking to increase the humidity of the air.
However, before you go on to purchase your dehumidifier, there are quite some things that you need to consider. Some of the factors that you need to consider while deciding how to size a dehumidifier are the house size and the capacity of the dehumidifier that you want to go for. Therefore, the most important factor to consider is the size of the dehumidifier and the size of the room/space that it can serve as this affects its moisture-removing abilities.
This is where the question “what size dehumidifier do I need?” comes in because buyers know what to know if they are purchasing the perfect dehumidifier for their house. It is, therefore, beneficial to make lengthy research on the type of dehumidifier that your home or space would be needing. In this article, we would be answering some of your burning questions as regards the dehumidifier and how to choose the best for your space.
There are several types of dehumidifiers and they are all classified according to the amount of moisture that they can eliminate and the size of rooms/space in which they are to work. Dehumidifiers can be classified according to their water tank capacity too. Water tank capacity determines the moisture-absorbing level and with the water tank capacity, you can learn how to determine the dehumidifier size.
Dehumidifiers can be classified according to their water tank capacity to:
Large Capacity Dehumidifier
If your home is afflicted with extreme humidity especially during the hot weather then a big size dehumidifier is what you need. The large capacity dehumidifier can remove 60 and more pints of water from the home in a day but you can easily modify the dehumidifier to either increase the maximum moisture removal capacity as you like. Even though they are relatively quieter, these large capacity dehumidifiers can function through a wider range of humidity. A large capacity dehumidifier can function as the best basement dehumidifier.
- High Efficient: This home dehumidifier with 2000ml capacity can quickly and effectively removes up to 750ml (86℉, 80%RH) of moisture from the air per day in small spaces (100-269 sq.ft). Keep your house more comfortable and healthy
- Ultra Quiet: This electric dehumidifier powered by advanced technology with no compressor is whisper quiet during operation. Noise is below 39dB without annoying sound, offer quiet environment when you are sleeping or rest
- Auto Shut Off: Built in automatic shut off protection prevents flooding or water overflow. This small dehumidifier will shut off when water tank full, and the led indicator turn yellow. Simply empty the water tank and place it back into the dehumidifier
- Energy Saving: Upgrade dehumidifier is low energy consumption, not waste electricity. It's an ideal solution for absorbing moisture from your basement, bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, RV, caravan, garage, crawl space and baby room
- Small and Portable: This portable dehumidifier is mini size (8. 98 x 5.9 x 14.65 inches) and lightweight (5.64 lb). You can easily move the dehumidifier to the place wherever you want to. Like all small dehumidifiers, the optimal operating temperature is 59-86°F. It is not recommended to use below 41°F.
Medium capacity Dehumidifier
Medium capacity dehumidifiers can remove up to 50 pints per day and while they can also function well, they work best in moderately wet places like a laundry room. While they might not be so efficient in damp places, they can still be used to dehumidify a small apartment or even act as a basement dehumidifier.
- 1,500 SQ FT DEHUMIDIFIER – Our dehumidifier is able to collect 20 pint (30 pint 2012 DOE standard) of water a day and adjust humidity from 35% to 85%, perfect for use in basement, bathroom, bedroom, or crawlspace. Maintaining a healthy 45%-55% humidity range has never been easier. Please note: depending on the climate in your area, as well as room size, you may need to purchase a larger unit for best effect
- INNOVATIVE FEATURES – Auto restart function limits disruption due to power outages by engaging your chosen settings as soon as power is restored. The auto defrost function prevents the collected water from being frozen and doing harm to the machine. Power supply:1Ph, 115V-, 60Hz
- QUIET AND CONTINUOUS OPERATION – A maximum 51 decibel limit enables low volume operation equivalent to a quiet conversation. Meanwhile, with Energy Star certification, the unit features a continuous dehumidification mode designed to keep your home at the proper humidity level 24/7
- EASY MAINTENANCE – Easily empty the included tank (0. 8 gallon) when it’s full, or simply connect a standard . 75 inch female garden hose (not included) to the built in socket for gravity fed continuous draining. Meanwhile, a reusable filter preserves air quality without expensive replacement parts
- WORLDWIDE - Midea is the world’s largest provider of air conditioning products. As a testament to our dedication to quality, we offer a one year parts and labor on this product
Small Capacity Dehumidifier
Small capacity dehumidifiers can remove a fair amount of moisture per day and they can even function as far as removing up to 35 pints of water per day. They work best with enclosed places like bathrooms, bedrooms and enclosed kitchens. They are not particularly suitable for wet areas but they can still work well in enclosed spaces. A small-capacity dehumidifier can function efficiently as the best dehumidifier for crawl space or as a basement dehumidifier.
- High-Efficiency Dehumify: VAVSEA Electric Small dehumidifier with 17oz capacity tank, and dehumidification feature better than ordinary electric dehumidifier. Fits for area about 215 sq·ft apartment, working at RH85% condition has a significant effect. The small dehumidifier for home helps you improve air quality and create a comfortable and health living environment for you.
- Energy Saving-Healthy: This mini dehumidifier is effective and energy saving with a power only 23W/hour which means using only 0.552kW of electricity after running for 24 hours. This dehumidifier air conditioner environmentally friendly and more affordable than traditional chemical absorbents.
- Ultra-Quiet: Dehumidifiers for home take excessive water out of the air with super quite design. Utilising thermoelectric (peltier) cooling that is whisper quiet and energy efficient with a low power consumption. Noise is below 30dB, runs quiet with no annoying sound, without disturbing your sleep, work or study, perfect for space like bedroom.
- Smart Auto-Shutoff Function: The safe dehumidifier shut-off automatically when full water. The indicator light would turn Red when the water tank needs draining. Easily removal and back into the air dehumidifier. Note: air filter optimal operating temperature is 41°F-122°F, below 41°F the effect of dehumidification is not obvious. Perfect for Environment Over 15°C, over 40%RH.
- Easy to Operate and Portable: Our portable dehumidifier is mini-size and will automatically shut-off. Perfect for use in home,kitchen,bathroom, bedroom, caravan, garage, closet. And you can easy to move it into bedrooms, bathrooms, RV and offices.
How Big of a Dehumidifier Do I Need?
Before choosing the size of a dehumidifier to go for, there are a number of factors that you need to look at. They are:
- The number of humans and pets in the space: Humans and pets naturally expel moisture and all we have to do to increase the humidity is by performing simple actions like speaking, sneezing, coughing, barking and even breathing. Therefore, for every 4 people in the home, you would be needing 5 pints of water.
- Washer or Dryer: Since water is constantly used with washer and dryer, you would need additional water-removing capacity. 5 more pints would be perfect for the laundry room.
- Bathroom: Bacteria and mold love staying in the bathroom mainly because of its dampness and wetness. Activities like taking one’s bath, washing hands, flushing toilets and several others that involve water increase the humidity level of bathrooms. Therefore, while removing moisture from the bathroom, you might want to add 5-10 more pints of water to the calculation.
- Doors and windows: Moisture can easily enter the space through doors and windows. With rooms that have doors that lead outside directly, an extra 5 pint is needed.
What Size Dehumidifier for Basement
When it comes to determining how to size a dehumidifier for basement, you might want to be practical. Dehumidifier sizes for basements would depend largely on these 2 questions; what humidity should my basement be? And what size should my basement be? To get the size (area) of your basement, all you have to do is measure the length and breadth of the room then multiply the two. To get a humidity level, you might need to monitor it and assess its dampness level. After this, you would look for a basement dehumidifier that is rated for the exact size and humidity level of your basement. And there you have your dehumidifier for basement.
What Size Dehumidifier Do I Need for my House?
When choosing a dehumidifier for your house, you might want to consider the size of each bedroom in the house, bathrooms, kitchen, basement and then the overall size of the house in general. Another factor that must be taken into consideration is the fact that most of these rooms so feature curves and demarcations and these can affect the effectiveness of the dehumidifier.
A large capacity dehumidifier is often the best for a house especially if it features a good moisture removal rate. A large capacity dehumidifier that is close to the total size of your home would do just fine especially if your home doesn’t already have a basement dehumidifier. This would do a good job of keeping the room humidity level even.
You might consider getting the whole home dehumidifier if your house is really large as this type of dehumidifier can serve up to 5000 sq. ft. or even more.
What Size Dehumidifier Do I Need for a Bedroom?
If you know what you are looking for, getting the best dehumidifier for your bedroom should be pretty simple. The first thing that you need to do is know just how large your bedroom is. After this, you need to put into consideration the other factors that contribute to the humidity level.
For a simple bedroom, a small or medium capacity dehumidifier that can also function as a basement dehumidifier would do just fine.
The question “What size dehumidifier should I buy?” might already be running through your mind. Before you answer this question, knowing the size of your home, in general, is very important as it would aid in knowing what size dehumidifier that you need to purchase. At HandyHomeMaster, our advice for you would be this: the larger the size of your home or space, the larger the dehumidifier capacity you should be looking to buy.
- 1 Dehumidifiers Sizes
- 2 How Big of a Dehumidifier Do I Need?
- 3 Conclusion