Handy Home Master created for informational purposes only. Thus, we neither endorse you in any way to buy specific products in our reviews, nor making you act like it’s written in our guides. We are reserving the rights for you to make your personal decision.
ARCHIE ADAMSEditor-in-Chief of the Handy Home Master
A look around your house will help you understand that most of the well-built furniture kept in your room is costly. Kitchen cabinets are also a type of furniture; therefore, their material, design, durability, and other factors determine the kitchen cabinet cost. Further in this article, we will tell you exactly why kitchen cabinets are so expensive and some tips on how you can save money while building this furniture. So, delve into the article to know more.
What Determines the Cost of Kitchen Cabinets?
Most of the materials used for making kitchen cabinets are of a high cost. Some of the most approved materials for this furniture are:
- Solid wood: Although it is a very expensive material, solid wood is most commonly used. That is why kitchen cabinets are so expensive. But anyway, solid wood provides amazing durability and is highly approved for making furniture.
- Fibreboard: Fibreboard is also known as MDF, and it is made of resin and wooden fibers. It provides resistance to termites and is considered as one of the cheapest materials for a cupboard.
- Plywood: Plywood is a very popular furniture making material. Although it is not as cheap as fibreboard, it is more affordable than solid wood and also provides effective water resistance.
- Particleboard: In case you are looking for the most reasonable cupboard material, then we are glad to say that this is it! It is composed of sawdust and wood; therefore, it is often heavy.
- Stainless steel: Another durable material for the pantry is stainless steel. They have a strong build quality and can bear heavy loads.
Now if you are confused which is the best material to invest in, then we would recommend you to invest in either plywood or fibreboard because both of them are strong and affordable. If you have a higher budget to bear the price of kitchen cabinets, then solid wood will be the most premium choice of all.
Some of the best kitchen cabinet brands on the market are as follows:
- Merillat: This is an independent brand known for providing high-end accessories and hardware. Their pulls and handles cost around $5 to $20.
- Starmark: This brand is popularly known for creating custom-designed furniture. The dealers are spread throughout the US and are easy to find.
- Waypoint: They offer solid hardwood frames and are popular in Denver and San Francisco.
- ood-Mode: Their dealers are spread throughout Canada, the US, and Central America.
- Schuler: This brand is available only in Lowes. It offers plenty of customized designs to their customers.
- Crystal: This brand is popular for both premium as well as an affordable collection of pantries. You can find the dealers in most of the urban areas near you.
Assembly and Installation
Kitchen cabinets are surely not the type of furniture that can be purchased from a shop and moved into your house wherever you wish. It demands secure installation by professionals. Installing fancy cupboards eats a part of your budget.
Mostly the installation cost is about 40% of the cost of new kitchen cabinets. Well, that doesn’t mean you cannot save money here. You can try and assemble the cupboards yourself. Although it is not highly recommended, if you invest in easy to assemble wooden pieces, then you can easily assemble them and save a part of your budget.
H3: Scopes of Customisation
We know that customized kitchen cabinets sound like the best dream, but often they are the reason why kitchen cabinets are so expensive. If you are planning to buy customized furniture at an affordable price, then make sure you choose the minimum features of customization. In case you have a lower budget, we would suggest you choose from the stock options available. There are plenty of stock options to choose from that can lower your average cost of kitchen cabinets.
Fancy accessories do look beautiful, but they add on to the budget as they are mostly expensive. We would recommend you to look for accessories that look fancy as well as inclines with your budget. Therefore, spend wisely on accessories like corner shelves, roll-out pantries, pull out cupboards and so on. Wise picking helps in replacing kitchen cabinets on a budget.
What is the Cost of Building Your Own Kitchen Cabinets?
The cost of installing kitchen cabinets varies widely, but an estimated budget chart looks like the one below:
|Wood Veneer||$2,000 to $15,000|
|Laminate||$4,000 to $15,000|
|Wood||$5,000 to $25,000|
|Acrylic||$5,000 to $20,000|
|Stainless Steel||$25,000 to $38,000|
Tips on Saving Money While Modelling Kitchen Cabinets
Some of the pro tips that can help you save money while modeling your dream kitchen cabinets are listed below:
Choose affordable yet decent material: It is very important that you are wise in selecting a decent yet affordable material for your pantry. As said before, go with plywood or fibreboard because they are the best affordable materials.
Avoid glazing: If you think that glazing is necessary, then NO, it isn’t. Although glazing can make your cupboards look more attractive, you can avoid them to save a considerable part of your budget.
Install fewer drawers: Drawers are often costly. Therefore, instead of installing a lot of drawers, it is recommended that you install doors to save money.
Remodel the old cabinets: In case you already own pantries, you can remodel them and make them look fancier. This will obviously help you stay within the budget limit.
We hope this article was able to help you know the exact reasons for kitchen cabinets being so expensive and some great ways to model your cookhouse at an affordable price. Follow the guide properly and choose the best pantry for your cooking space. So, when are you planning to start buying kitchen cabinets? We would love to know!